CHICKEN ON A SPIT
with Wild Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) 7 Spice Blend
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 16 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon celery (small diced)
- 1 oz yellow onions (small diced)
- 1 tablespoon carrot (small diced)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) mushroom mix (cut medium, depending on mushrooms, there will be variations)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (diced)
- 1 teaspoon shallots (diced)
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Season inside of bird with spice blend, and shove herbs into the cavity
- Season the outside well with the spice blend, an even coating.
- Put on spit, and roast until golden brown, and the temperature at the thickest part of the thigh is 165º.
- While chicken is roasting, in medium size pot, on medium heat, put butter to melt, add vegetables, cook until onions become translucent.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and shallots, cook 2 minutes.
- Add rice, mix around, season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock/broth and stir, check seasoning to ensure it’s flavorful. Season the liquid, if needed, as that will be the flavor of the rice once it’s done cooking.
- Put on the lid, turn to low heat, and cook until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir, adjust seasonings. Reserve