Brussels, Mushrooms, Butternut & Sausage Pizza
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 Minutes
- 8 oz prepared pizza dough & red sauce
- 3 oz fontina cheese, very coarsely grated
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded & torn
- 12 brussel sprouts, sliced ⅛” thick + loose leaves
- 4 oz butternut squash, cut into 1” thick “sticks”
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 Italian sausages – mild and/or spicy
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh sage
- Kosher salt & pepper
- Preheat grill to 425°. Arrange sausage on large rimmed baking sheet. Cook 15 mins.
- Scatter sliced brussels between sausages, sprinkle with salt & cook for 10 mins. more.
- In a large bowl, toss mushrooms with balsamic vinegar. Add onion & squash, drizzle with oil and season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Add remaining veggies to the pan. Continue to roast for another 5 minutes or until the internal temp of sausage reaches 160°. Preheat XO Pizza oven for 15 mins.
- Cool sausages while oven is heating, then slice. Move pre-roasted veggies to bowl.
- Pat out dough to about 1/2 thickness. Place on lightly floured peel. Brush the top with olive oil. Shimmy pizza off peel into the center of the XO pizza oven.
- Once the bottom has started to cook, use peel to spin pizza so the opposite side is closest to fire and it cooks evenly. After one minute, flip the pizza crust.
- Add sauce, sausage and half of fontina. Spread pre-roasted veggies on top of cheese. Using peel, keep rotating pizza for even cooking on all sides.
- When it’s close to done, pull it to edge of oven on peel. Add remaining fontina, goat cheese & fresh thyme leaves, removed from stems. Lift pizza on peel toward top of oven to melt/heat the newly added cheeses/herbs & finish cooking of pizza.