GRILLED & CRISPY FRIED TURKEY LEGS
WITH SWEET POTATO FRIES
Prep Time: 15 MINUTES
Cook Time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
Serves: 2 - 4
- 4 turkey drumsticks (or 2 turkey legs plus thighs)
- 2 liters lemon-lime flavored soda
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- Canola oil
- Assorted dressings to dip (Blue cheese, ranch, hot honey etc.)
- Fill a large pot with the soda, hot sauce, pepper, red pepper flakes and onion slices. Add the turkey legs and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook the mixture for 30-45 minutes, until legs reach an internal temp of 160°F. Remove from heat.
- While legs are cooking on stove top, lightly oil cold grill. Then preheat to high.
- Remove legs from pot and shake off excess moisture. Take onion slices out of pot and lay them on hot grill. Place legs over the onions.
- Brush with honey and sprinkle with steak seasoning.
- Finish cooking legs, giving them a single turn, for about 20 minutes - just long enough for a crispy brown crust to form.
- If desired, briefly place in boiling canola on power burner to get extra crispy.
- Serve with sweet potato fries.*