CHICKEN ON A SPIT
WITH WILD MUSHROOM RICE PILAF
MAIN COURSE RECIPE
PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR 45 MINUTES
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) 7 Spice Blend
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 16 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon celery (small diced)
- 1 oz yellow onions (small diced)
- 1 tablespoon carrot (small diced)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) mushroom mix (cut
medium, depending on mushrooms,
there will be variations)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (diced)
- 1 teaspoon shallots (diced)
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Season inside of bird with spice blend, and shove herbs into the cavity
- Season the outside well with the spice
blend, an even coating.
- Put on spit, and roast until golden
brown, and the temperature at the
thickest part of the thigh is 165º.
- While chicken is roasting, in medium
size pot, on medium heat, put butter
to melt, add vegetables, cook until
onions become translucent.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and shallots,
cook 2 minutes.
- Add rice, mix around, season with salt
- Add stock/broth and stir, check
seasoning to ensure it’s flavorful.
Season the liquid, if needed, as that
will be the flavor of the rice once it’s
- Put on the lid, turn to low heat, and
cook until all water is absorbed, about
- Remove lid, stir, adjust seasonings.